5005 W. Center Street, P O Box 227
October 18th Planning Commission meeting has been canceled
October 21st ZBA meeting has been changed to October 18 @ 4:30 sorry for the inconvenience
Please do not rake leaves and grass into the streets it clogs the sewers.
There will not be an additional brush pick up. Please make arrangement to take the brush to the Dump!
Halloween will be celebrated on October 31, 2021 from the start of the Fire Department Sound @ 5:30 p.m. until close @ 7:30 p.m.
The settlement of Fairgrove dates back to June 1852 when Amzy Clay bought acreage from Patrick McGlone of neighboring Juniata Township, Michigan. The land surrounding Fairgrove was level, sloping slightly to the northwest. The soil was ideal for farming, although many drainage projects were necessary to rid the area of its large mosquito population. Forest lands enclosed the township with stands of beech, maple, elm and basswood occurring in groves, giving the town its name. No roads into or out of the township existed at the time and Mr. Clay along with his father, Henry Clay, Jacob Winchell, Erastus A. Marr, David Gorter, a Mr. Blank, Patrick McGlone and Joseph R. McGlone hacked through five and a half miles of densely crowded forest to connect the new township with neighboring communities. Settlement did not begin in earnest until the following spring when several new families moved into the township.
Before the township was given a name it was designated as township 13 North, of Range 8 East by the State of Michigan. Three years later, on 31 December 1855, at a meeting of the board of supervisors the township was officially given the name of Fair Grove. The first school district organized for the township was the Hinson District, named for then resident D.P. Hinson. The first school house was built in the spring of 1856 and was run by Caroline E. Stoddard, of Rogers.
Fairgrove first received a post office in 1881 after a railroad was built here. It was incorporated in 1901.